Member-only story
THE BIOMECHANICS OF DECLINE
I’m 72, and I Still Pass the Floor Test
3 harmless habits are aging you faster than time. Here’s how I killed all three.
Last winter, I bent down to pick up a dropped pen off the kitchen floor. My body sent me a memo I did not appreciate: a short, sharp negotiation in my lower back, then the humiliating need to use the counter as a ladder just to stand back up.
I am 72. I write daily, I sit on a non-profit board, and I still teach as adjunct faculty. My mind, by every measure I can track, is sharper than it was at 55. But my body had quietly filed a grievance, and the pen incident was its way of serving notice.
Here is what I did not do that week. I did not fall off a roof. I did not run a marathon badly. I did not do anything a doctor would call an “event.” I simply lived, for years, inside a routine engineered for zero friction: a recliner with a lever, a car I never had to walk far to reach, a house where nothing heavy needed lifting because I’d quietly arranged it that way.
That is the part almost nobody talks about in the conversation on aging. We obsess over catastrophic risk: the fall, the fracture, the diagnosis. We ignore the compounding tax of a thousand small comforts.
Retirement culture sells us the Endless Weekend. A life curated for ease, where the highest achievement is a day that requires nothing of you.
I’ve written before about how that vision is a biological death sentence for the mind. It is equally a death sentence for the body. It just kills more quietly.
The core mistake is this: we treat comfort as the reward for aging well, when biologically, comfort is the mechanism of decline.
If you’re reading this in a favorite chair, in the easiest position your body has found all day, I’d gently point out that the chair is not neutral. It is quietly voting against you.
Your muscles, bones, joints, and metabolism are not passive tissue waiting out the clock. They are adaptive systems that respond to a signal. Load is the signal.
Take the load away, even gently, even comfortably, and the body doesn’t rest. It downgrades. It reads your ease as evidence that the tissue is no longer needed, and it starts, quite efficiently, dismantling what you’re not using.
I call this Eliminative Living: a routine defined not by what you do, but by everything you have engineered yourself out of doing. I’ve found three habits, each one perfectly reasonable on its own, that are doing more to age my readers’ bodies than any birthday ever could.
Habit #1: Outsourcing the Floor
Somewhere in our fifties, most of us quietly stop getting up and down off the ground. We take the chair with arms. We avoid gardening at ground level. We let getting in and out of a low car seat become a two-handed production.
This looks like wisdom, the kind that says it’s “protecting the knees.” Biologically, it’s closer to premature retirement of the very system you’re trying to protect.
There’s a name for this in the research, and it’s blunter than anything I’d have chosen myself: the sitting-rising test.
Brazilian researchers tracked over 2,000 adults aged 51 to 80 for more than six years. They scored each one on how many times they had to reach for a hand, a knee, or a wall to get up off the floor. The ones who needed the least help were up to six times less likely to have died by the end of the study than the ones who needed the most. A larger follow-up of over 4,000 adults later confirmed the same pattern for cardiovascular deaths specifically.
It isn’t because sitting on the ground is magic. It’s because the movement recruits hip mobility, core strength, and balance: three systems that atrophy fast and recover slowly once neglected.
Wolff’s Law, the century-old principle describing how bone remodels itself around mechanical stress, doesn’t pause for comfort. Bone that isn’t loaded through its full range of motion simply stops reinforcing itself there.
You don’t lose the ability to get up off the floor because you got older. You get older, functionally, because you stopped getting up off the floor.
I call it the Floor Test, and I’d encourage you to run it on yourself before you finish reading this. Not someday. Now, if you’re able. Sit down on the ground, then stand back up without using your hands. If you can’t, that isn’t a fact about your age. It’s a fact about your last few years of habits, and it’s reversible faster than you’d expect.
The fix isn’t dramatic. A few times a day, sit down on the ground and stand back up without using your hands or furniture. If you can’t yet use one hand, then work toward none. It’s the single cheapest audit of whole-body function I know, and it doubles as the training that keeps the audit passing.
Habit #2: Delegating the Load
Groceries delivered. Lawn on a subscription. A suitcase with wheels for every distance, even the ten feet across the garage. Each of these is a rational trade of money for time. Stacked together, year after year, they form a routine in which your muscles rarely encounter resistance they didn’t choose.
This is where the metabolic story gets serious, not just the muscular one. Skeletal muscle is your body’s largest glucose reservoir, the place where a meaningful share of the sugar from your last meal gets stored and burned. Muscle that isn’t asked to contract against resistance becomes less responsive to insulin’s signal to open that door. This is a documented mechanism behind age-related insulin resistance, and it isn’t caused by age itself. It’s caused by a muscle that has been let out of its job. Sarcopenia, the age-related loss of muscle mass, doesn’t arrive as a diagnosis. It arrives as thousands of skipped carries, lifts, and pushes that a delivery service or a landscaper quietly absorbed on your behalf.
The fix: Reclaim two or three physical chores a week on purpose, not because you have to, but because your muscles are owed the invoice. Carry the groceries in from the car in one trip instead of two. Move something heavy in the garage. Take the stairs with something in your arms. The goal isn’t punishment. It’s sending your body the signal that its load-bearing systems are still on payroll.
Habit #3: Choosing the Path of Least Resistance
Ask yourself honestly: when did you last let a small physical inconvenience stand? Not overcome it, just let it exist, unsolved, for a few extra seconds of effort?
This is the quiet one: the accumulation of dozens of micro-decisions a day, each invisible on its own. The escalator instead of the stairs. The closest parking spot instead of the farther one. The remote instead of getting up to change the channel. None of these choices will ever show up on a chart. Together, they are the architecture of a life with almost no unplanned physical demand left in it at all.
The biological name for what small, voluntary efforts provide is hormesis: a manageable dose of stress that triggers the body’s repair and strengthening response. It’s the same principle behind a vaccine, a cold plunge, or a hard workout. A little controlled adversity teaches the system to come back stronger. Eliminate the small doses of friction, and you don’t get a body at peaceful equilibrium. You get a body that has quietly stopped rehearsing its own resilience, so that when real demand eventually arrives (a suitcase up a flight of stairs, a grandchild who needs chasing, a slip that needs catching) it has nothing left in reserve.
The fix: Stop optimizing for the shortest path. Park farther away on purpose. Take the stairs as a default, not an exception. Stand up to change the channel ( I put my remote next to the TV, forcing me to get up to change channels). None of it will feel like exercise, and that’s the point. It’s not a workout, it’s a policy. The goal is a life with friction built back into its architecture, not bolted on as a separate 45 minutes at a gym and then eliminated everywhere else.
The Real Trade We’re Making
None of this is an argument against rest, and it certainly isn’t an argument against enjoying the years we’ve earned. I’m not suggesting anyone take up rock climbing at 72 to prove a point. What I’m suggesting is narrower, and I think more honest: comfort and decline are not opposites of effort and hardship. They are much closer to the same thing, wearing different clothes.
The pen on my kitchen floor was a small event. But it was also a bill arriving for years of quiet elimination: the floor sits I’d stopped doing, the loads I’d stopped carrying, the friction I’d engineered out of an otherwise comfortable life. I picked the pen back up. Then I started picking things up on purpose, every day, on my own terms, before my body decided to send the invoice again.
The calendar will keep moving regardless of what we do. Whether our bodies move with the same ease they did ten years ago is a separate question entirely, and increasingly, I’ve come to believe, an answerable one.
Further Reading to Consider:
About the Author:
Gary L. Fretwell is a #1 international best-selling author blending neuroscience with Stoic philosophy to help people build a life of lasting significance. He’s the author of eight books on intentional living and retirement, including the #1 bestseller The Magic of a Moment and Intentional Retirement.
On Medium, Gary founded and edits Illumination: Retirement, Aging & Legacy.
📖 garyfretwell.com · 📬 The Wise Effort on Substack · ✍️ Follow on Medium
No comments:
Post a Comment